and the buildings

And the buildings:

  • The original 1822 dam washed out in 1842 and was replaced that same year with a wooden dam.  The 1842 washed out again in a major spring flood in 1912 at which time a concrete dam was built downstream by Arthur McFall.  Vestiges of the 1842 dam were visible in 1982 when the TRCA upgraded the south shore berm
  • The original 1822-1823 mill was incorporated into the new downstream mill built in 1846 by James Cupper Bolton 
  • The circa 1843 seasonal worker cottage is one of two co-joined dwellings that form the heritage designated ‘Mill Cottage’ at 97 King Street, Bolton’s oldest residence
  • A second smaller dam was added in 1846 (see photo and map)
  • The mill race which was dug out in 1845-46 was filled in in the early 1970s and the former mill pond is now Mill Park, created through community involvement in the early 1970s
  • Two early mill worker cottages still stand along King Street East.  #122 was built in the late 1840s; #132 is visible on the 1854 map. 
  • Edward Lawson’s 1855 frame store was replaced in the early 1880s by the Bonnar Block.  The Bonnar Block was replaced by cold storage lockers in the 1950s
  • The 1875 Gardhouse Store still stands at 49 Queen St North.  It was re-bricked in the 1960s
  • The mill owner’s home at 83 King Street East is the heritage designated Gardhouse-Goodfellow House
  • The tennis courts below the dam lasted until 1912 when the concrete dam was built downstream
  • The c1908 grain elevator along the CPR line stood until the mid-1960s
  • After 1951, the  1850 enlarged mill building adapted into a Seed Coop. 
  • The mill structure was taken down in 1968 to make way for Humber Lea Road which leads to the north hill subdivision
  • The 1912 concrete dam is still in place behind ‘Mill Cottage’