Plummer Foundry

  • In 1869 John Phillip (JP) Plummer, an experienced foundry man, was offered the position of managing the moulding and casting departments in William Dick’s new Agricultural Works
  • JP moved to Bolton from Woodbridge, purchased property at the foot of James Street and built a 2 storey frame house in 1870
  • Around 1878, JP partnered with tinsmith and local builder George Watson in a foundry along Queen Street at the edge of the mill pond behind James Wolfe’s property.  They made ploughs and beams.  The partnership dissolved in 1888 when Watson moved to Toronto
  • JP purchased property along the river on Mill Street and built a new foundry where his sons William and Charles were both employed.  With JP’s sudden death in 1892,  his sons took over, continuing the business as ‘Plummer Bros.’
  • They expanded the business, employed 8 to 10 men making ploughs, cutting boxes, furnaces and general cast-iron work including decorative fencing
  • During WW1, Plummer Bros. foundry kept 25 to 30 men employed all year
  • The work was physically demanding and the excessive temperatures caused by pouring molten iron were often unbearable. 
  • The foundry was sold in 1937, a victim of the depression and the advent of new technologies
  • Fire gutted much of the foundry in 1952 but several small casting businesses worked at the site until it was sold to Tomlinson Industries
  • Tomlinson cast furnaces but in 1968 decided to close rather than bear the expense of installing newly legislated air pollution equipment
114 Hemlock Street built circa 1870. In the background is Elm Cottage built in 1887 for J.P. Plummer’s daughter Louise and her husband Thomas Henry Smith.
The foundry buildings on Mill Street.

And the buildings?

  • In 1969 the remaining buildings were converted into Village of Bolton and Bolton Hydro offices.  The windows were salvaged from the Albert Street School after the 1969 fire.  Around 2005,  the buildings were purchased by Verona and Rex Teskey as the offices for their real estate business
  • Both the J.P. Plummer house and the Charles Plummer house remain standing today
  • The Plummer family history can be found in the full text archives section of this site
Charles and Catherine Plummer’s House at 53 James Street. Red brick, Edwardian Classical style. Built circa 1900 by J Stubbs. The decorative cast-iron fence was made at the Plummer Foundry
J.P. Plummer House, built circa 1870. L to R. Catherine, Harriett, Charles, Louisa, William and Vesta Plummer. Photo by Robertson Matthews.
L to R. William, Harriett, Vesta, Charles, Louisa and Catherine Plummer. Photo by Robertson Matthews.
Photo taken after 1918. Humber River in the foreground