Wesleyan Methodist and United

  • Bolton’s Wesleyan Methodist congregation was part of an Albion Circuit with visiting ministers but no fixed place of worship 
  • In 1848, the congregation laid out a cemetery adjacent to the Anglican Burial ground
  • Finally, in 1852, the Wesleyans built a frame Chapel from heavy planks with roughcast exterior.  It was dedicated on December 12th, 1852 as Zion Methodist Chapel
  • By1876, a larger church was needed and a new Victorian Gothic style brick church was built at a cost of $6000 and named  Wesley Church. By the end of the dedication service that October, the congregation had paid for the building, in full
  • The church contractors were Hicks and Cline (Toronto) and George Watson (Bolton).  The bricks were produced locally at Norton’s brickyard
  • In 1885, Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists across Canada joined together.  In Bolton, the two separate congregations followed suit, selecting the larger Bolton Wesley Church as their place of worship
  • With church union in 1925, Wesley Methodist Church became Bolton United Church
T.C. Prosser Map 1854

And the buildings?

  • Bolton’s Methodist cemetery is maintained at 116 Centennial Drive
  • In 1876, Zion Chapel was moved away from the corner of King and Nancy Streets to the rear of the Masonic Hall.  There it remained for the next 100 or so years, used latterly as storage by local builders William Black and his son John
  • Bolton United Church still stands at 8 Nancy Street.  The original spire was removed in 1926 for safety reasons