Carriage works

  • Albert Dodds was born in 1847 and grew up on a farm in Lloydtown.  At the age of 20, he moved to Kettleby to apprentice with a carriage maker where he learned the trade.1
  • In 1873, Dodds went into business for himself, opening a carriage shop on King Street East in Bolton which he called ‘Bolton Carriage Works’.2
  • He made buggies and wagons, often winning prizes at local fairs. His specialty was the popular, highly varnished, 3 seater ‘democrat’ and he became well known for good quality at a fair price.3
  • In 1880, he became President of the Albion Bolton Agricultural Society,4 and that same year, he acquired Samuel Bolton’s undertaking business.5
  • Albert and his wife Jane built a beautiful home at 36 King Street East.  Bricks for the house came from Norton’s brickyard which was located in the next block
  • In 1913, after 40 highly successful years manufacturing carriages, Dodds sold his businesses to William R. Egan.6
  • Over the next few years, the advent of the motor car dramatically impacted the need for carriages.  Egan maintained a carriage repair business until 1925 when he finally wound down that part of the business.7
Historical Atlas of Peel 1877 – (re-scan)

 

Albert and Jane Dodds

And the buildings?

  • The carriage shop was moved back from the street, set on a foundation and converted into a hardware, paint and wallpaper store.  It later became Cavallieri’s building supply store.  It was torn down in 1988 to make way for The Courtyards of Caledon shopping centre
  • The Dodd’s home was also demolished in 1988 for the shopping centre

36 King Street East, the home of Albert and Jane Dodds. Bricks for the Italianate style home came from Norton’s brickyard which was located in the next block south.

Extract from the Historical Atlas of Peel County, 1877. Published by Walker & Miles

‘Dodds’ Carriage Works building as seen looking east along King Street East on July 12, 1911 as  the Orangemen’s Annual Parade route passes by Bolton’s Orange Lodge at 21 King Street East.

King Street East looking west to the Four Corners of Bolton. Photo dates from between 1895 and 1905. Foot bridge, to the left of the cattle in the photo, sits over Jaffary’s Creek.

  1. Historical Atlas of Peel, Walker & Miles Third Reprint Edition, pg 67  3rd col
  2. Margaret Dodds Snell Henry, From Devon to Ontario, printed by The Bolton Enterprise December 1973, pg 14
  3. Esther Heyes, The Story of Albion, printed by The Bolton Enterprise, 2nd Edition 1968, pg 240-241
  4. ibid. pg 336
  5. Women of the WI. Bolton Tweedsmuir Book, ‘Bolton Funeral Directors’, Region of Peel Archives
  6. ibid.
  7. ibid.