Andrew McFall Era, 1881 – 1894

Andrew McFall Era 1881-1894

  • The McFall era extended for 60 years, through 3 generations, from 1881 until 1941. Andrew, the first of the McFall family millers, grew up just east of Bolton in King Township
  • He apprenticed with H.S. Howland at the Kleinburg mill, trained as an accountant and ran the grist mill in Thornhill prior to buying the Bolton mill property in 1881.  The mill had been advertised for sale as a ‘Grist and Flouring Mill having a 4 storey frame on a stone foundation along with a 4 storey storehouse’.1   
  • He was 42 years old, married to Mary McNeill and together they had six children: Margaret, Anne, Arthur, Louise, William and Henry.  Charles was born later
  • The mill ran 24 hours a day, 6 days a week., starting at midnight Sunday and shutting down at midnight on Saturday
  • Andrew initiated change with the installation of a full roller system to process grain, the purchase of a new water wheel as well as the acquisition of a small steam plant to supplement the water power from the river
  • The steam plant typically ran during the night and the transition from water power to steam power required precise synchronization between the miller and the mill engineer
  • The roller system allowed different grades of flour to be produced by taking flour off the rollers at different times.  Andrew branded his grades of flour with decorative barrel heads. ‘Good Loaf’ was the basic grade, ‘Albion Pride’ was first grade and ‘Pure Gold’ was the finest flour ground
  • By the mid-1880s, Andrew also purchased the grain elevator at the station. 
  • He was instrumental in the formation of the Laurel Hill Cemetery Company in 1894.  Ironically, Andrew passed away later that same year and was one of the first burials in the new cemetery
  1. McFall Family documents